How to use SFTP for WordPress
What is SFTP
There are two ways to get files onto your server: SSH and SFTP. We recommend SFTP instead of SSH for its ease of use.
SFTP is a secure form of FTP (file transfer protocol) that runs over SSH on port 22.
JungleWP disables SSH/SFTP password authentication by default.
Only our experts can log in over SSH using an authorized public key authentication. Requests to activate Password SFTP access on a server for non expert members should be sent to our Support.
You can request SFTP access, you just need to send us a message. We will generate a strong password for you and help you get started with your SFTP account.
Several SFTP clients exist, but at JungleWP we like Cyberduck for its clean interface and simple drag-and-drop-ability.
How to Configure Cyberduck for WordPress
To help you have the easiest experience using SFTP for your WordPress apps, we recommend adjusting these settings as soon as you have installed Cyberduck.
- First, set Cyberduck's default protocol to SFTP.
- Open the General tab in the (Mac users: program > preferences | Windows users: Edit > preferences)
- Select SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol) as your default protocol.
Show Hidden Files
When migrating an app from one server to another, it's important for you to see hidden files so they are not skipped in the transfer.
To see your hidden files in Cyberduck, open the Browser settings in the program preferences. Make sure a check mark is placed next to Show hidden files.
Set Your External Editor
- First, open the Browser settings and place a check mark next to Double click opens files in external editor, as shown above.
- Then, click the Editor tab and select your text editor from the drop-down list.
- Place a check mark next to Always use this application.
Note that Cyberduck defaults to TextEdit on Mac or Notepad on Windows ; if you decide to use TextEdit, make sure to turn off smart quotes.
How to transfer files over SFTP with Cyberduck?
To SFTP into your server, click Open Connection.
Make sure SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol) is selected in the drop-down list at the top of the pop-up window.
- Enter your server's IP address in the Server field.
- Enter your username
- and enter the password
- Place a check mark next to Add to Keychain.
- Click Connect.
Uploading Files to Your WordPress App
Another example is shown below: